Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What Halloween Means To Me '13 Day 2: Wendy K (Holidaze Halloween Radio)


Music is a big part of a lot of people’s Halloween celebration.  I’m one of them.  From horrorpunk tunes to horror movie themes to novelty oldies, Halloween definitely has the best soundtrack of any holiday.  I’ve been an obsessive maker of mix discs since college, and I always make a new one for every 31st to serve as the soundtrack for Son of Celluloid’s Halloween Adventure.  Previous year’s mixes become driving to Netherworld music.  In other words, I’m a nut for Halloween music.  Last year I discovered a killer online radio station playing great music, some of which I had never even heard of before.  I had stumbled across Holidaze Halloween, and now I’m addicted.



You can click on that nifty banner to be magically transported there.  If you’re in need of a little Halloween spirit, check it out.  If you’ve got plenty of Halloween spirit, check it out.  If you need music to decorate your house or yourself all spooky-like to, check it out.  You know what?  Just check it out.  You’ll be glad you did.  There.  You just found the soundtrack to your October. 
Anyway, Wendy runs the station (as well as its FACEBOOK PAGE) and is one of those people too.  I could tell from the size and variety of the collection she plays that she must be a kindred spirit.  She’s obviously a Halloween enthusiast as well as a music lover, so I just had to drop a line and invite her to be involved in the countdown.  Turns out she’s a Cellmate and was excited to contribute.  Kindred spirit indeed.  Take it away Wendy…



“I think my earliest memory of anything Halloween/horror related would have to be the Saturday morning cartoon, The Groovie Goolies. I loved that show. I never missed it. I was only about four years old then, but it began my obsession with all things horror… specially classic horror films. There is just nothing like the classics! Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, The Wolfman and The Mummy. One of the first costumes I remember wearing as a child was Frankenstein's Monster. Back then Halloween costumes meant uncomfortable plastic masks with a tiny rubber band and a cheap printed vinyl suit. I still remember what if felt like sticking my tongue through that tiny mouth hole. It also began my obsession with Halloween and horror music. I actually play the Groovie Goolies theme on my radio station as a shout-out to that childhood memory.

 I began my station because I thought to myself, "How cool would it be to be the soundtrack for someone else's Halloween?" I had this huge, amazing music collection and I just wanted to share it with all of you guys! I try to play a lot of different types of music, such as: novelty, horror surf, psychobilly, horror movie scores, metal, murder ballads, and horror movie trailers. Something for everyone, and I hope you will tune in and join me!

As for what Halloween means to me, I tend to think of it as less of a holiday and more of a lifestyle. I think Tim Burton said it best when he said, "Every day is Halloween, isn’t it? For some of us..."



29 days ‘til Halloween, Halloween, Halloween.  29 days ‘til Halloween.  Silver Shamrock.
 

1 comment:

Jeremy [Retro] said...

Wonderful share of the scare!
Visiting part of the "Countdown to Halloween"

Jeremy H.

New Look, New Name and Same Stuff...
[Being-Retro]

Also, thought I would share this with you... this is the label I work for and we want to get a good turn out this year.. Maybe you like and then share?

13 Days of Chills [2013] Win Prizes and More!
Brought to you by "Howlin' Wolf Records", go ahead you should check it out! Remember this runs all month long and it's all about the score music from some of your favorite films and the mention of prizes doesn't hurt either.

http://www.13chills.com/

Ps. Word Verification is Awful, if you get the chance PLEASE Turn it Off and set your comment preferences to NO ANONYMOUS! If you need some help on this, please visit my site on "Stupid CAPTCHA"... I have some helpful steps.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...